Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions.  I'm a realist, and for me resolutions are short lived.  It takes a certain amount of dedication and resolve to make lasting changes.  I'm not saying that I am incapable of change, I just have to go about it differently.

Jack Scott recently wrote about the increasing pace of time, and the importance of taking the time to notice the small things. Time does seem to speed up as I get older.  Can you believe that it is actually 2013?!  I remember looking at my calendar when I was in third grade, figuring out that I was going to graduate High School in 1994, and thinking that was several lifetimes away!  I used to get angry at the ever increasing pace of time, angry that I wasn't afforded the time to enjoy life the way I wanted.  But I realized something recently, that it's my own fault.

David Allen says that "If you're appropriately engaged w/your life, you don't need more time. If you're not, more time won't help."  The fact is that I spend more time watching a show on T.V. then I do on that project I've been trying to finish for years now.  It's not time's fault I haven't finished the project, it's mine.  If you're appropriately engaged with your life, you don't need more time.  Spend the time figuring out what you want, figuring out how to get what you want, and actually doing that. That's the key to living a fulfilled life.  That's how to avoid regrets in the later years of life.

Is that what I do?  Lets just say that my life is a constant work in progress.  That might be why on this particular New Year's Day, I am spending a little more time than normal thinking about the changes I want to make.  My life has gone through a surprising amount of changes over the last year (or so); new job, new home, new addition to my family.  Most of these changes were for the better, all of these changes have taught me that I need to grab life by the balls.  No more excuses, only action!

Happy New Years everyone!  I hope 2013 proves to be a great year for all of you as much as I am determined to make it for me.

5 comments:

  1. I love the little cartoon man. Welcome to 2013, shall we go in now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Jay! I hope this is an exciting year for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay,
    Enjoyed reading your blog...took this morning to read through all your posts. You write well, and have some really exciting things to write about.
    Mostly, I just want to thank you for baring your soul in this blog. But, Are you still enjoying men? Have you had any more experiences? Is M still a friend? Love to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just completed reading your blog starting with post #1 and what a wonderful journey its been. Look forward to following you on BiLikeMe2. I'm also curious about what happened with "M".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks for the compliments guys! I have high hopes for this year. Yes, Nate and Anonymous, M and I are still friends. We still chat on a regular basis and meet up when the opportunity presents itself.

    ReplyDelete